Building Services

Starting a project on your property?

If you’re starting a building project in the CVRD rural areas, please be aware of the BC Building Code requirements around fire safety.

On December 19, 2014, additional changes to the BC Building Code come into effect including:

  • Part 9.36 Energy Requirements
  • Minor code revisions

All property owners, contractors and developers applying for building permits will be doing so under the new code. 

The CVRD's building department is responsible for regulating the construction, alteration, repair or demolition of buildings and structures within the region's electoral areas.

Health, fire, structural and general safety requirements are enforced to protect and promote the health, safety and well-being of all CVRD residents.

If you are planning new construction or a renovation, whether a residence or an accessory building on your property, it is the homeowner's responsibility to ensure all planning and construction conforms to the CVRD Bylaws as well as the province of British Columbia's Building Code.

Changes to the 2012 BC Building Code came into effect December 20, 2012.

When to Contact Building Services

You will need to contact the CVRD office if you wish to construct, alter, repair or demolish a building or structure within one of the CVRD 's electoral areas. Work of this nature will require a building permit, and you will be asked to submit information outlining what work you would like to do and to pay a fee for your permit. Information requested may include a set of drawings showing the project in detail, a Survey Certificate, proof of Home Warranty Insurance, or other documentation. Your building inspector should be consulted early on in your project planning in order to advise you on the exact needs of your particular application.

The homeowner is responsible for carrying out the work or having the work carried out in full accordance with the requirements of the British Columbia Building Code and other applicable regulations.